About Us

origin of buddhism in kolar gold fields, kolar district, karnataka, india. by asoka dhamma dutha buddhist society, vihar. & shri h.m.ganagadharaih memorial meditation centre, KGF.

The Kolar Gold Fields (KGF), 100km by road towards the south of Bengaluru Karnataka, is the second deepest mine established by John Taylor in the world mining gold for over 121 years. The British fondly called KGF “Mini England”. It was the first town in the whole of ASIA to get electricity in 1902 from the Hydal Power generation units exclusively constructed for KGF Project in 1889 located 140 km away at Sivasamudram falls.

establishment of first buddhist centre at kolar gold fields, south india buddhist association marikuppam. in 1907 south india buddhist association, champion. in 1911 by

late shriman ayothi dass pandit

Shriman. Ayodhi Dass Pandit

Who has established first Buddhist Centre in south India at Chennai, then at Kolar Gold Fields. In 1907 and made KGF as the gateway for Buddhism in Karnataka. (1907)

Asoka Dhamma Dutha Buddhist Society (ADDBS) was founded and established at Goutham Nagar 11 Divn (opposite to KSRTC bus depot), Robertsonpet, Kolar Gold Fields -563122, by late Ven. Agama Pandit Ariyavansa Maha Nayaka Thero of Mathre, Srilankain the year 1952, a great scholar, philosopher, and follower of the highly disciplined order of Sangha with compassion, after his frequent visit to the Buddhist centres like South India Buddhist Association with Buddhist schools at Marikuppam and Champion Kolar Gold Fields which were established in the year 1907 and 1911 respectively by late. Shri. Ayothi Dass Pandit. This centre became the gateway for Buddhism in Karnataka, for the same reason Babasaheb Dr.B.R.Ambedkar visited the South India Buddhist Association Champion, KGF On 11th July 1954.

Late. Pandit Shri. G. Appa Duraiyar

President South Indian Buddhist Association. Champion, KGF. (1911)

During this period the philosophy of Lord Buddha and the rational ideas were spread in and around KGF by the great Buddhist leaders like Pandithamani. G. Appaduraiyar, President of South India Buddhist Association and Buddhist School at Champion, KGF, with his active Upasakas Late Shrimans T. Rajashekaran, P.M. Narayanaswamy, P.Kuppuswamy, P.N.Raju, S.Krishnan, Muniswamy, Chinnappa, Ashokan, Cylone. A.R.Perumal, V.Govindan, Selvamani, Rajamanikam, Siddhartha Printing press D.Chandran. M.Kasinathan, Gurumani, and other members, of Prajapathi Gouthami Maather Sangham headed by Mrs A.Annapooraniammal, Mrs. Kamalammal Raju as a secretary and its members, Messrs., Kundalakesi, Mayadevi, Chandra, Bhushanam, and others, apart from Buddhist Youth Association led by Mrs D. Chandran, Kasinathan, and others. At the age of 25, Pandit Appaduraiyar became the Vice President of the Marikuppam Buddhist Forum. The library of Marikuppam called Vidya Varthini became one of the leading libraries in the world for Buddhist literature thanks to the efforts of Pandithamani. G.Appaduraiyar.

Another Centre, viz., South India Buddhist Association, situated 3 kms South of Champion Centre, established by Shri. Ayothy Dass Pandit in the year 1907 with the Buddhist school, under the leadership of Shri. Periyaswamy, Shri E. N. Iyyakan Pulavar, Mr I. Loganthan, Mr Ragulan, and others were actively involved in the spread of Buddhism and running the Buddhist School.

Acharya. Ven. Agama Pandit. Ariyavansa Maha Nayaka Thero SriLanka

Founder President Asoka Dhamma Dutha Samagama, KGF. (1952)

(ASOKA DHAMMA DUTHA BUDDHIST SOCIETY, KGF )

Late Ven. Agama Pandit Ariyavansa Mahanayaka Thero of Srilanka, after visiting these centres, visualized the spread of Buddhism at KGF with rational Ideas without the proper guidance of the monks would be difficult and he has decided to establish Buddhist Monastery for Buddhist monks to stay and carry out the Dhamma work.   

With the intention of constructing the Buddhist Monastery, he made all arrangements and brought funds from Srilanka, purchased the site at a nominal price from then Sanitary Board, Robertsonpet, KGF through South India Buddhist Association, Champion, and constructed the monastery in the year 1952 through the civil contractor Mr V. M. Naidu Muskam. as a founder president, He named it as Asoka Dhamma Dutha Samagama. That became society on 01-12-1990 wide Reg. no.191/90-91 with Mr.P.N. RAJU, as a secretary and other members shriman, Cylone A. R.Perumal, Mr. Chinnappa, Mr. Govindaswamy, Mr. P Kuppuswamy, Mr. Kasinathan, Mr. Chinnadurai, Upasika Smt. Kamalammal Raju and others were carrying out weekly services, full moon day, and Buddha Jayanthy Celebration apart from conducting meditation classes. Monks from different places used to come and stay in the monastery for months together and were carrying out the Dhamma work; Especially ven. Bikkuni Sangamithra, ven. Bikkuni, Gauthami Matha, ven. Ananda Bhanthe ji ven. Saranankara Nayaka Thero from Srilanka stayed  at this monastry carried out the dhamma work for long duration and Upasakas and Upasikas used to take care of the monks.

Ven. Ariyavansa Mahanayaka Thero, the Founder President used to have frequent visit to this place and involve all the centres to carry out Dhamma work and taught the Buddhist Theravada culture and made all the Buddhists follow the Buddha dhamma, sangha with meditation. During his period he made late Shri P.N. Raju as the President and given a full charge to take care of the centre. Since then Shri P.N. Raju, President of the Asoka Dhamma Dutha Buddhist Society with Its members is carrying out the dhamma work. After the demise of the Founder President of the Asoka Dhamma Dutha Buddhist Society, Ven. Agama Pandit Ariyavansa Mahanayaka Thero at Srilanka, as per his advice and authorization. Late Shri. P.N. Raju, President took complete charge of the Society and continued the Dhamma works with their Members.

Babasaheb Dr. B.R. Ambedkar

Visited South India Buddhist Association Champion, KGF On 11th July 1954.

Another Centre, viz., South India Buddhist Association, situated 3 kms South of Champion Centre, established by Shri. Ayothy Dass Pandit in the year 1907 with the Buddhist school, under the leadership of Shri. Periyaswamy, Shri E. N. Ayyakan Pulavar, Mr I. Loganthan, Mr Ragulan, and others were actively involved in the spread of Buddhism and running the Buddhist School.

Late Ven. Agama Pandit Ariyavansa Mahanayaka Thero of Srilanka, after visiting these centres, visualized the spread of Buddhism at KGF with rational Ideas without the proper guidance of the monks would be difficult and he has decided to establish Buddhist Monastery for Buddhist monks to stay and carry out the Dhamma work. 

Late Maha Upasaka Shriman P. N. Raju

President Asoka Dhamma Dutha Buddhist Society, Trust, Buddha Vihar & Sri. H. M. Gangadaraiah Memerial meditation Center gautham nagar, opp: KSRTC bus depot, Kolar Gold fields- 563113.

With the intention of constructing the Buddhist Monastery, he made all arrangements and brought funds from Srilanka, purchased the site at a nominal price from then Sanitary Board, Robertsonpet, KGF through South India Buddhist Association, Champion, and constructed the monastery in the year 1952. as a founder president, He named it as Asoka Dhamma Dutha Samagama. That became society on 01-12-1990 wide Reg. no.191/90-91 with Mr.P.N. RAJU, as a secretary and other members shriman, Cylone A. R.Perumal, Mr. Chinnappa, Mr. Govindaswamy, Mr. P Kuppuswamy, Mr. Kasinathan, Mr. Chinnadurai, Upasika Smt. Kamalammal Raju and others and carrying out weekly services, full moon day, and Buddha Jayanthy Celebration apart from conducting meditation classes. Monks from different places used to come and stay in the monastery for months together and were carrying out the Dhamma work; Upasakas and Upasikas used to take care of the monks.

Ven. Ariyavansa Mahanayaka Thero, the Founder President used to have frequent visit to this place and involve all the centres to carry out Dhamma work and taught the Buddhist Theravada culture and made all the Buddhists follow the Buddha dhamma, sangha with meditation. During his period he made late Shri P.N. Raju as the President and given a full charge to take care of the centre. Since then Shri P.N. Raju, President of the Asoka Dhamma Dutha Buddhist Society with Its members is carrying out the dhamma work. After the demise of the Founder President of the Asoka Dhamma Dutha Buddhist Society, Ven. Agama Pandit Ariyavansa Mahanayaka Thero at Srilanka, as per his advice and authorization. Late Shri. P.N. Raju, President took complete charge of the Society and continued the Dhamma works with their Members.

Ven. wimalavansa Nayaka thero bikkhu training centre,
sri lanka Vidyalaya

ten feet Lord Buddha statue

Ven. Amavansa Nayaka Thero bikkhu training centre,
sri lanka Vidyalaya

establishment of maha mahinda buddha vihar with Ten feet size lord buddha statue
at gautham nagar, KGF

Buddhacharya Sri. Chandima Ji

In 1967 Young Monks (SAMANERAS) Venerables Kasappa Chandima, AnandaSugadhavansa from Srilanka stayed in Asoka Dhamma Dutha Buddhist Society Monastery for six years to carry out the higher studies with Dhamma work under the guidance Ven. Sarananakara Nayaka Thero and Ven. Ariyasiri Thero, for higher Studies, deputed by Ven.Wimalavansa Nayaka Thero, Chief of Srilanka Vidyalaya Colombo, Srilanka. They were all doing the Dhamma work apart from the studies, after six years.Ven. Saranankara Nayaka Thero established Buddhist Centre a Mumbai, and another at Jalagoun Near Ajanta and taken care by Ven. Ananda Thero, Ven. Sugadhavansa Thero respectively, with the inspiration of Ven. Wimalavansa, Chief of Srilanka Vidyalaya, Colombo. Ven. Amaravansa Thero established MAHA MAHINDA BUDDHA VIHAR with 10 feet Buddha Statue, Monastery, and Primary School in front of Asoka Dhamma Buddha Society and officially named the adjacent block as Gotham Nagar, Roberson pet Kolar Gold Fields. Presently taken care by Buddhacharya Sri. ChandimaJi. B.A with  other Members carrying out the Dhamma work in co-ordination with other centres in Kolar Gold Fields.

establishment of buddhavihar and sri h.m gangadaraiah memorial meditation centre at asoka dhamma dutha buddhist society, KGF.

Late. Maha Upasaka Shriman H. M. Gangadharaiha "SadhanaShilpi"

President of Shri. Siddhartha Education Society, Tumkur.​

Since the Asoka Dhamma Dutha Buddhist Society’s Monastery building was small and in a dilapidated condition it was decided to construct a new Buddha Vihar, with Meditation Centre in the premises, and accordingly, the President Mr P. N. Raju and his son Dr Pooraneson Raju met Maha Upasaka, Shri H. M. Gangadharaiha, President of Shri. Siddhartha Education Society, Tumkur, in 1992 and discussed about the proposal he whole-heartedly appreciated the proposal and voluntarily gave Rs.25000, as an initial donation on 20th August 1995, and assured to take care for its completion and also suggested that his son Dr. G. Parameshwara ( Ex. Deputy Chief Minister, Govt. Karnataka), to take care of the project for its completion.

Unfortunately “SadhanaShilpi” Maha Upasaka. Shriman. H. M. Gangadharaihji passed away on 6th December 1995. All the members of society with the President attended the funeral and paid their last respect to the departed great leader, who was a social reformer, philanthropist, educationist, humanitarian, Gandhian. Ex-member of Legislative Council and a true follower of Baba Sahib. Dr B.R. Ambedkar, and the philosophy Lord. Buddha. As per the advice of late Maha Upasaka, his son, Dr. Parameshwara, took keen interest and completed the construction of Buddha Vihar with the help of other donors Like Mr. Janakraj and family, Dr. Pooraneson Raju and family, and other members.

Ven Ananda Bhantheji. Secretary, Maha Bodhi Society, Bangalore, Inaugurated Lord Buddha Statue on On 21st January 2001.

The President Shri. P. N. Raju and committee members, Shrimans Kasinathan D. Chandra Janakraj, Dr. Pooraneson Raju, K. Millindar, Vedhmani, Venugopal, Dr. Krishna Kumar, K. Anandan, M. Devakumar, Ravichandran, Panchamani, R. Praburam, G. Jayaprakash, Sudhakar, Upasikas, Kamalammal Raju, Meerabai, K. Bhushanam, and others decided to inaugurate the new building in memory of late Shri H.M.Gangadharaih, As Asoka Dhamma Dutha Buddhist Society “Buddha vihar & Shri. H. M. Gangadharaih memorial meditation center”, On 21st January 2001 at 9:30 am with the blessing of most Ven. Acharya Dr.Buddha Rakkhitha Maha Thero, of Maha Bodhi society Bangalore in the presence of Ven. Ananda Bhantheji with other monks. Ven Ananda Bhantheji was kind enough to organize a beautiful, life-size, bronze Golden color Buddha statue in sitting-blessing posture from-donor Upasakas of Thailand.

bodhi tree stage was donated by Mrs.sangamithra umapathy & family Chennai.

The inauguration was held on a grand scale under the President-ship of Shri P. N. Raju attended by Mrs. Malini Krishnamurthy, Superintendent of Police, KGF, the District Commissioner of Kolar, and many monks, dignitaries, Upasakas, and Upasikas from different places.

the bodhi tree’s, original saplings from Bodhgaya were inaugurated by honorable Mrs. prema kariyappa, mayor, Bangalore.

original bodhi tree sapling brought from buddha Gaya by Ven. Bodhi Pala.

“Buddha Vihar and Sri. H. M. Gangadharaih memorial meditation center” was inaugurated by honorable Dr. Parameshwara, Minister for Higher Education, Government of Karnataka. The Statue of Lord Buddha was unveiled by Ven. Ananda Bhantheji of Maha Bodhi Society Bangalore.

integration of buddha vihar and shriman H. M Gangadharaih memorial meditation center by
Dr. G. Parameshwar Honourable minister Govt of Karnataka

The Society continued its service regularly under the president-ship of Upasaka Shri. P. N. Raju and his members by conducting weekly services, monthly full moon day and yearly Buddha Jayanthi and other celebrations on a grand scale, by inviting Monks from Mahabodhi society, Bangalore, and other places for discourses, meditation training, and by further honoring the Buddhist speakers, state officers, and other dignitaries for the services rendered in different fields, apart from conducting mass medical, eye checkup camps, hospital and orphanage services.

Due to his efforts & tireless service, he was able to construct the Samudhaya Bhavan, assisted by the kind gesture of Shriman. K. H. Muniyappa Member of Parliament, from his MP fund with due recommendation of Shri. Dr. G. Parameshwarathen Higher Education minister, Government of Karnataka. This is utilized for the meditation and Martial arts training to the children. Further, he has organized massive mega free health checkup & treatment camp with the co-ordination of Siddhartha Educational & Cultural Developmental Association Bangalore. About 3500 patients have got benefits of medical, surgical, OBG, and Cardiology services from Jayadeva Institute of Cardiology Bangalore, Cancer detection from Kidwai Cancer Institute, Bangalore, Ortho, ENT, Opthal, blood investigation, diabetic detections, ECGs, Ultrasound examination by doctors from GH, KGF, Kolar & Poornima Hospital, Bangalore and others participated with the guidance of Sri. D. Thangaraj IAS, the then Principal secretary H&F.W.services Government of Karnataka, President Shri, P N Raju, and his son Dr. Pooranesan Raju and other members.

Further Shri. P. N. Raju, Smt. Kamalammal Raju & Shri, Janakraj constructed three shopping complexes, one each, and donated it for the benefit of the society to get financial help to run the society. After the demise of President Maha Upasaka Shri. P. N. Raju on 20th February 2006, as a mark of respect and to honor of his tireless service for Buddha, Dhamma, & Sangha, especially towards Asoka Dhamma Dutha Buddhist Society, a monumental square was constructed with his remains (asthi) in the Premises. A senior Upasaka Shri M.Kasinathan, became the President, Shri. D. Chandran the Vice president, Dr. Pooraneson Raju the secretary, and Prathab Kumar the treasurer who along with the members were continuing the services.

After the demise of Upasaka Shri. Kasinathan, Senior Maha Upasika. Smt. Kamalammal Raju wife of late Maha Upasaka Shri. P. N. Raju, continued the services as president till her last breath, at the age of 90 yrs i.e till 2nd June 2016. For her active selfless service of 70 years for Buddha, dhamma, and sangha, her remains are also kept in the same monumental Square of her husband, as a mark of respect and honor. After the demise of Maha Upasika. Smt Kamalammal Raju, Upasaka. Dr. Pooraneson Raju son of late Maha Upasaka P. N. Raju, become the President, K. Anandan the vice president, Mr. Prathab Kumar, and Mr. Madivanan General Secretaries, Mr. M. Devakumar the committee chairman along with other Active members continued the services of Sangha actively with the guidance of senior Upasaka Shri D. Chandran, Mr.Arjunanan.

At present, the entire activities are carried out under the President-ship of
Dr. Pooraneson Raju, MBBS ,MS, FICS, Senior Surgeon,
Chairman Poornima hospital, Bengaluru. 

Late Maha Upasaki Srimathi Kamalammal Raju

ASOKA DHAMMA DUTHA BUDDHIST SOCIETY, KGF

Along With The Following Members:

Mr. K. Anandan, B.sc, Vice President 
Mr. M. Pratab Kumar, B E, (Ex Gen. Secretary)
Mr. Devakumar, LLB (Vice President)
Mr. Madivanan, B E, (Ex – Gen. Secretary)
Mr. B. Gouthaman, B E, MBA, Secretary 
Dr. R. Praburam, M.A Joint Secretary
Mr. Ravi Chandran, Asst. secretary 
Mr. P. Panchamani, Treasurer
Mr. JayaPrakash, Asst. secretary 
Mrs. G. Meerabai, (Ex. MC) Joint Secretary
Dr. (Prof). Krishna Kumar, Msc, Ph. D
Dr. Ramani Pooraneson MBBS, DGO
Dr. Karthik Pooraneson MBBS, MS 
Mr. Raj Manohar (Ex. Asst. secretary)
Mr. Murali, 
Mr. Raj Vikram Ramesh, 
Mr. Jayaram, and other upasaka & upasikas.

With the Following active members, all the operations of the society are going on regularly.

The president Dr. Pooraneson Raju and members realized the present monastery Building of about 65 years was in a debilitated condition, and monks were unable to stay and carry out the dhamma work to resolve this, Dr. Pooraneson Raju and his family were kind enough to construct Lumbiniguest house building, with all the facilities for the monks to stay, this was done in memory of late Maha Upasaka Shri. P. N. Raju and late Maha Upasika Smt. Kamalammal Raju Ex.president the foundation stone was laid by Ven. Kasappa Bhantheji, president, Maha Bodhi Society, Bangalore, on 10th February 2017, and the building was inaugurated by Ven. Dhamma Loka, and Ven. Buddha Dutta Bhanthejies with the blessings of Ven. Ananda Bhantheji general secretary Maha Bodhi Society, Bangalore on a full moon day 9th June 2017, in the presence of Shri D.Thangaraj IAS (retd), Shri. Siddhaiah IAS (retd), Shri.Subhash Bharani, IPS (retd) Shri. Basavaraj IAS (Principal Secretary, Transport Govt of Karnataka) and lady members of Siddhartha Education & Cultural Development Association, Bangalore.

Apart from conducting all the functions regularly, we have organized the centenary celebration of Shri Siddhartha book depot, founder, Shri B. M. Rajarathnam, Shri. Siddhartha press, Andersonpet, Kolar Gold Fields (Pioneers in a press in those days) to bring out the philosophy of Lord Buddha, rational ideas of Periyaar. A. V. Ramaswamy of Tamil Nadu, the literature of Shrimans Ayyothi Dass Pandit, G. Appaduaiyar, Ayyakan Pulavar, & others which has ignited the minds of people of KGF. This function was organized in grand scale at Asoka Dhamma Dutha Buddhist Society on 11th December 2019 with the coordination of S.I.B. Association, Champion and Marikuppam, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Arts & Literature Society, Chennai, and Maha Mahinda Buddha Vihar, Goutham Nagar, KGF.